Current legislation (including the Money Laundering Regulations 2003 and the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002) requires us to check the identity and address of our customers and to keep some of that information in our records.
For that reason, the first time you use the services of one of our notaries we will need you to show us a photo ID and a proof of address. We may need to take copies but any details we keep will remain fully confidential and will not be used for any other purposes.
These are some of the forms of ID we can accept. Note that we need to see the original document (not a copy) and we need documents which have not expired:
- National Identity Card
- Driving Licence (with photograph)
- Some official licences and cards, such as armed forces ID cards.
These are some of the documents you can bring as proof of your current address. Again, we need to see the original document and not a copy:
- Utility bill (excluding mobile phone bills, but prints of online statements that show your address are fine)
- Bank statement
- Other official documents confirming your address (e.g. a letter from the electoral register).
If you are signing a document on behalf of a company – especially if it is a foreign company – we may need to ask you to show us evidence that the company exists and that you are authorised to represent it. Some documents you can use in those cases include:
- Extract from the company register
- Certificate of incorporation
- Latest report and audited accounts
- Up to date certified copy of partnership agreement
- Evidence of being regulated by a regulatory body such as the Law Society or FCA.
Anti-Money Laundering (AML) Searches
In order to help us comply with our statutory obligations for certain types of instructions, in most cases we use an online electronic identity verification system. Our on-line AML searches for Client Due Diligence purposes cover the following areas:
- Electronic Passport and Proof of Address verification
- PEP status
- Insolvency Procedures
There are two types of AML searches:
- Private Individual AML searches
- Company/Corporate AML searches
In certain cases, we may be required to undertake more extensive and enhanced Client Due Diligence Search Reports.